Marlo Spencer relishes all things retro. Old TV shows, classic movies, and even the collectible lunch boxes to go with them. In fact, she’s quite cozy in her Malibu apartment, surrounded by her treasured knick-knacks and vintage memorabilia. It’s her best friend, Nik, who doesn’t get her fascination with all that “old junk,” as he calls it. He especially doesn’t understand why she’s so keen to get back to their hometown of Napa when her high school sweetheart, Josh, suddenly returns after twelve years in Paris and nary a single phone call, eager to reunite with her. So, when Marlo heads up north to wine country to rekindle her relationship with Josh, Nik tags along, claiming he was already planning to visit his sister, Savannah, Marlo’s gal pal. Once they reach Napa, however, dreams of a blissful reunion are shattered as old secrets and past betrayals are revealed, leaving an unsuspecting Marlo to pick up the pieces. Can she forgive and forget, or will true love find a different path to her heart?
If you ever want to read a chick-lit book, pick this one! It has everything that makes me love chick-lit, which is a new genre for me. I loved the charm and quirkiness of the characters, the back in time moments with I Love Lucy reruns, and even an old flame from high school. With just a touch of romance, a whole serving of laughs, and some twists and turns, I was engrossed in the book and couldn’t put it down!! I loved the way the story flowed, the storyline was interesting and had some real life challenges readers can relate to, and shows how love never truly dies. This is not a heavy book, there are some unrealistic parts in the storyline, but isn’t that why we love chick-lit? It takes you away for just a moment in time and in the end, you can’t help but smile and feel good about it. I highly recommend this book!
*This book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. No forms of compensation were given.
About the Author:
Nancy Scrofano grew up watching classic television shows, classic movies, and listening to oldies, all of which she still adores today. Nancy has a penchant for the fifties, mostly because of her favorite show, I Love Lucy. She has seen every episode countless times and will happily share the trivia she knows with anyone who will listen. Nancy worked as an editor and a journalist for her college newspaper, then went on to develop sociology textbooks for an academic publisher. She has a master’s degree in media psychology, as well as undergraduate degrees in communication, radio and television, and liberal arts. Nancy currently writes book reviews for a prestigious book review magazine. Additionally, she is the founder and managing editor of The Chick Lit Bee, a book blog that promotes and celebrates women’s fiction, and Good Humor Girl, a women’s entertainment blog. Nancy lives in southern California where she is at work on her next novel.
Connect With the Author:
WIN THE E-BOOK!
Book giveaway ends October 31, 2012.
- Guest Essay by Beth Orsoff: Why it’s Okay to Like Chick Lit (omnivoracious.com)
- Quickie Book Review – Maggie For Hire by Kate Danley (quirkygurl.com)
- “Shadows of Suspicion” by Ashley Dawn (A Lightning Book Promotion Tour and GIVEAWAY) (onedesertrose.wordpress.com)
- in which i accept that i am somewhat of a chick who loves lit (mclicious.org)
- Translating Chick Lit – Who, Me? (angel011.wordpress.com)
- Book Review – How to Date a Werewolf by Rose Pressey (quirkygurl.com)
- Blog tour starts Oct 1 (marycastillo.wordpress.com)
- Book Review: Rejection by Meagan Bridges (leeswammes.wordpress.com)
- Book Review: The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella (ermiliablog.wordpress.com)
- Interview with Mimi Barbour, book reviews and int contest and giveaway (adelesymonds.wordpress.com)